Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Craft Tuesday: Simple Stretch Bracelets


Bracelet making is probably something we all did when we were little. There are so many great bead options to make fun, fashionable bracelets that it really is worth while to make your own bracelets now! I was on the hunt for some fun, purple beaded bracelets. I hit up all the department stores and Target, and everything I found that I liked was going to cost me at least $30 to have a set. I moped, and then thought to myself, "Duh, you are a crafter. You should MAKE your bracelets!"

So I did.

My inspiration was a set of purple bracelets I saw at Dillard's, where one bracelet was $20. They were made out of very similar purple plastic beads that were "crystal cut." I went to JoAnn and bought a large bag of similar plastic beads (Urban Ice) for $5, a spool of 60' of stretch cord for $4, and a pack of 10 silver-plated beads for $5. After I used some 40% off coupons, I spent less than $10 at the store, and I still have beads and LOTS of cording left over.

So maybe this blog entry is less about teaching you HOW (which I do) and more about making you aware of the money-saving possibilities at your fingertips (which I did)!


To start, measure your wrist using a flexible tape measure or string. Mine was 6.5" around. Add on 4 inches (2" onto each side for tying knots). So my cord was cut to 10.5" long.

Next, use a binder clip or paper clip and clip off the end of the string, leaving the 2" excess. This clip will act as a bead stopper.

Place your string to the side and begin arranging your beads. I first laid mine out and separated them into different shapes and colors. My bag had quite a variety so I had lots of little piles. After you do that, it's time to start choosing your beads!

I am not a big fan of simple patterns like purple, pink, purple, pink, etc so this is how I did mine: I picked on bead to repeat, and did so every 3rd or 4th bead. Next to that bead I put a silver one, and then in between those I just filled in with a fun variety, making sure not to have two similar beads too close together. Simple to do and it looks a little less like Claire's jewelry.


If you are making a set (I made 3), then try to vary the sizes of beads you use by bracelet. I made one using the large beads, one using large & medium beads, and one bracelet using only the small beads. When they are stacked on my wrist they look so nice because of all the variety!

Once you have put on beads, carefully wrap the string around your wrist to make sure you have enough beads to wrap around your whole wrist. Now tie off the ends so that the beads wont come off. I suggest documenting the bead pattern you chose, whether it be with a picture or a sketch, because if your beads fall off for some reason you will want to be able to recreate it (sadly, this happened to me and I had not documented). Once you have tied off one end, move the clip to that end and tie the other, then remove the clip and tie a surgeon's knot to tie the bracelet together.

BeadingTimes.com

Clip the extra cord and try to tuck the knots inside a bead. You are finished! Enjoy wearing or gifting your creations! There are so many possibilities for this project, I hope you have fun beading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment