Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Craft Tuesday: T-Shirt Scarves


I have some old t-shirts that are super soft and wonderful colors, and I have had a very difficult time with the idea of parting with them. I was so excited to do this craft because it meant I could keep, and even wear, these wonderful t-shirts! No more trash bin for them. Hooray for repurposing!


This craft is super simple, and not too time consuming either. It cost me absolutely nothing because all you need in a pair of scissors and some old t-shirts. This is such a great no-sew scarf. Even kids can do this project, and if you use an adult size shirt for a kid's scarf you will be able to wrap it several times! If you want a big one for yourself, use an extra-large men's shirt. Heck, you could even buy a cheap shirt to make this with if you really wanted to. I love this craft!

You will need:
  • 2 old shirts (colors that go well together preferably)
  • Scissors


Start by laying your shirt out straight and cutting off the bottom hem.


Next, begin cutting your shirt in strips about half an inch thick. I got about 12 strips from each shirt and stopped, but I could have kept going for a fuller scarf. Once you have all your strips (which are really loops because you will not cut the seams on the edge) hold a side in each hand and stretch the loops out so that the fabric pulls and curls up on itself (see below).


I decided that I would mix the two different colors together in each scarf piece. Of course, you can also keep them separate and have one piece is that is all one color and one that is another. Whichever suits you best, but the rest of the direction are specific to how I did mine. They're easy to alter if you are doing a single color.

Next, remove two loops from each color and place to the side. I did two because my shirts had a seam on each side. If you shirt has one or no seams you only need one loop. Next, divide each color in half and mix it up with a half of the opposite color. Group any seams together because you will be covering them up next.


Now, take those 4 loops (or 2) you put to the side and cut one end so it becomes one long piece of fabric. Place the center of this strip of fabric at the base of the grouping of seams and wrap one end around it, then the other, until the seams are covered. Use one color of fabric for the knotting on one scarf, and the other color for the other scarf.


Knot these two ends back together, trim off all about about 1/2" of excess and tuck that into the wrapped cloth.



Now, repeat for all the seams, and wrap it around your neck however you like. I doubled both of mine and just pulled and fiddled with them until I got them just right. You can also try simply knotting them together and making one loose scarf. Lovely! So simple. I hope you enjoy making and wearing this scarf!

No comments:

Post a Comment