Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Craft Tuesday: Putting your photo on canvas!

Using the printing on tissue paper method we learned last week, we can put a picture on canvas!

It's simple, but a little tricky, and it doesn't turn our perfect.  My tissue paper ended up a bit wrinkled, but it's tough to tell from far away. I am thinking that this project would have been a lot better had the picture been print on FABRIC, or if I used a spray-on adhesive and then Mod-Podged over it. So if you have spray on adhesive on hand I would HIGHLY suggest that if you are using tissue paper. If you are clever enough to print on fabric then go for that!

Here is how I did it! Let's go!

You will need:
Canvas
Tissue paper with picture printed on it
Matte Mod Modge
1 sheet of 12x12 scrapbooking paper to cover edges (optional)
Foam brush

Once you have printed your picture on tissue paper and cut it out, lay it on your canvas to figure out how it fits best. My picture was the same size of my canvas, so I didn't have to mark a border or anything. Made it much simpler.

Next, using your foam brush, cover the main surface of your canvas with a light coat of Mod Podge and very carefully lay your tissue paper on. This is the tricky part. Once it's on there it's tough to move without ripping the tissue paper (I found this out the hard way). Gently smooth out any wrinkles with your finger tips, or even lightly use a credit card light a squeegee.

Once your picture is in place, lightly coat one edge of canvas in Mod Podge and place a strip of scrapbooking paper cut to the appropriate size. This heavier paper will be easier to move into place without it tearing.

Let your piece dry completely and then do 2-3 top coats of Mod Podge for a nice, finished look. And you're done!!

I am planning on doing this with not only pictures I've taken, but any picture of art I find online. What a great way to make your own affordable canvas prints!

No comments:

Post a Comment