Thursday, November 3, 2011

Let's Brag: Halloween Costumes!

So I know that Brag Thursdays are supposed to be for readers to submit their own fun crafts and cooking, but today I am going to brag about the last minute costume accessories I made. I will probably post a DIY when it gets closer to costume season again, but it seemed silly to do it now. If anyone is interested in how I did them NOW then I will go ahead and post it! They are pretty simple and straight forward though!

Procrastination got the best of me again when it came to my son's Halloween costume. We waited too long to order it online, and we wouldn't be able to get it on time unless we paid on obscene amount for expedited shipping. So, I was on the hunt for a costume. I found a cute monkey hat at Target (of course, I love Target) so I decided that I would put on his brown pants, brown jacket, the monkey hat and call it a day. But wait, monkeys have tails! So here is what I whipped up in about an hour.

I used some textured felt, embroidery floss, a sew on snap, poly-fill, and voila! A monkey tail! And look how wonderful it looked on Alex.


Now, costume number two. My friend Connie found a cute pair of Hello Kitty ears online, but they were sold out, and she just wanted something simple. No fuzzy feathers or sequins, and she didn't want them on a headband, but on alligator clips. Okay. Deal. Using some white and red felt, with more embroidery floss (I have a lot just kind of sitting around, waiting to be used), I was able to make these for about $5. $3.50 of that was the hair clips, and then I just rounded up because I spent $5 on 1/2 yard of each color and I obviously did not use anywhere NEAR that much. It took me 2 or 3 hours to make the pattern,  cut, sew, stuff, and glue. Ta-Dah! Hello Kitty ears!
I don't have a picture of her wearing them, but they did turn out really well. Keep in mind I was in a car wreck they day before I sewed them and my hand was a bit beaten up, so they are a little rough looking... but I think they turned out really well despite that.

Hope everyone had a happy Halloween! I can't wait to celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas now! Hooray! Don't forget to submit your craft & cooking projects that you want to brag about! You don't need to have a blog to contribute, but if you do I would be happy to link back to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment