Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Craft Tuesday: Winter Yarn Wreath


A couple of weeks ago my Inspiration Sunday was all about yarn. Well I finally bought some yarn that matches my holiday colors (my tree is decorated with blue, white, and silver ornaments) and some wreath supplies. I had so much fun making this wreath! It took me about 4-5 hours of total work time. Of course I did not do this all in one sitting.
So here is how to make this wonderful wreath! It's simple, but a little time consuming.


You will need:
  • Wreath shape (I used 14" styrofoam)
  • Yarn in various colors
  • Cloth stem wire in dark brown
  • Black buttons
  • Snowflake "buttons"
  • Styrofoam balls in various sizes (I used 3.5", 2.5", and 2")
  • Hot glue gun & glue
  • Craft knife (steak knife will work too)


Start by picking your design. I decided I wanted to stripe my blue and silver yarn and not section it off in any way. That made it easy so that I did not have to measure out and make marks where I needed to start and stop. Next, unravel a small bit of yarn and hot glue the end of the yarn string(s) to the top back of the wreath shape. Begin wrapping your yarn around the wreath, keeping it pulled taut. Every 2" I would suggest putting another dot of hot glue to save your yarn from coming unraveled. This took me quite a while, about 3 hours.

After you have finished wrapping, congratulate yourself and go have a glass of wine or a nap, or both, because you deserve it!



Next, you'll make your snow man. Begin by cutting off a bit off the top of the big ball, top and bottom of the middle ball, and bottom of the little ball. This will help the snowman pieces stack a little bit better and fit better into the wreath.


Now take your white yarn and hot glue the end of it onto a flat side of one of the balls. Wrap your yarn around the ball and hot glue on the same side when done. Repeat this for all of the snowman pieces.
Once your snowman is covered in yarn, hot glue the pieces together. Apply the glue and then hold the pieces firmly together for about 30 seconds while the glue dries. Once the whole snowman is put together, put it upright in a glass to let it dry fully.


Buttons!
While the snowman is set aside, pick your buttons for the snowman! I used 3 matte black buttons. Hot glue them on next.


Now it's time to make your snow man's arms. Cut two 3-4" pieces of stem wire and twist them together. One on side, pull the two wires apart to make the snowman's "hands." Stick them in the middle section of the snowman. If they are too long, remove them, trim them down and reinsert.
Now your snowman is complete!


If you'd like something extra, you could give him a scarf with some scrap fabric.


Now, lay for wreath and snowman down on a table and decide where you'd like your snowflakes and hot glue them on (if you'd like to include them at all). If you don't want to use snowflakes, I would suggest putting a bow on top of the wreath with some floral wire. Or do both!


Lastly, put a big dollop of hot glue on the bottom of your snowman and glue him onto the wreath. Let dry and you are finished! Hang your wreath up and enjoy all winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment