Sunday, October 23, 2011

Inspiration Sunday: Texas State Fair


Last weekend I took the train into Fair Park in Dallas and went to the State Fair for the second time in my entire life. I now understand one more reason why America is a "fat nation." According to my scale, I gained 6 pounds that day. I ate so many fried foods, I feel like I will be sweating peanut oil for the next week. And you wouldn't believe some of the fried things I didn't get (deep fried frozen margarita, fried salsa, and fried caviar are among the many).

Ever since, I have been thinking about what I could deep fry at home that might be as magnificent as the fried pumpkin pie I had. That's right, fried pumpkin pie. If you think it sounds gross, you are WRONG. It may be one of the best things I've ever eaten. Period. Here are some of the other ridiculous things I did eat while I was there:
  • Fried pumpkin pie (eaten too quickly by everyone to get a picture)
  • Fried s'mores
  • Fried cookie dough (pictured right)
  • Fried peanut butter, jelly, and banana
  • Fried butter (pictured below. Sounds gross, but just imagine a hot, very buttery biscuit, that you can only eat half of because its so rich)
  • Best "corny" dog ever

"Pose with your butter!"
My fiance Jason and I have already decided that we are attempting the pumpkin pie ourselves, but I am thinking apple pie would be fantastic too. And they have fried ice cream (which confuses me almost as much as the deep fried frozen margarita), so what about other fried cold delicacies? Custards, puddings.

I am interested in someone taking some sweet potato bites and deep frying them. Now that's a great thanksgiving sidedish. How about fried cranberry sauce, or stuffing? People already fry the turkey, so I say let's fry the whole meal!

What about breakfast foods? Those are such great comfort foods that people will eat any time of the day. Let's take some pancakes and fry them up! Delicious? Who knows!

I guess what I'm getting at is this: while I have ideas for fried foods, I am only so imaginative when it comes to food. I want to hear from YOU about what YOU like to fry, what you WISH people would fry, or what you would NEVER want to be friend. If I get some good ideas coming my way I'll try them and post them, even if they're disgusting sounding (brussel sprouts anyone?).

No comments:

Post a Comment