Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Craft Tuesday: Hot Glue Gun Art

Okay. So I was on Pinterest (as I always am) and saw this GREAT idea to decorate old glass jars and bottles with your glue gun and then paint them! How awesome is that? Yah. Not that awesome as it turns out. The glue chips right off of the glass. So, the gears in my head start turning. What if you do it on a canvas? Hooray!

For this easy, quick project you will need:
  • Hot glue gun
  • Glue for your hot glue gun
  • Canvas (I used a 12x12)
  • Pencil
  • Spray paint

After you decide on your design, use your pencil to sketch it onto the canvas.
Now, before you put the glue on the canvas, I would suggest tracing something to practice handling the glue gun. It helps me to hold it so the glue gun is at a 90 degree angle to the canvas. After you have the hang of it, go for it! Trace your pattern carefully.
The great thing about hot glue is that is dries SO quickly! Pick away those pesky little glue strings and make sure all your glue is dry, and then spray paint.
The finished project will look something like this! This one was actually painted with 3 or 4 coats of acrylic paint, which took FOREVER. I just didn't like the design nearly as much on the one I spray painted. Keep in mind I am not much of an artist when it comes to drawing, and of course this project does rely on a little bit of drawing talent... but if I could do it, I PROMISE that you can too.

This is just super easy and is a great thing to hang in bathrooms, hallways, and little kids rooms. Try doing a series of them, each one a different color with similar (or identical) designs. You can also tape the canvas off and do several colors on each canvas. The possibilities are endless, and I would love to see what you come up with! Submit pictures of your hot glue gun art and I will post them on Show-Off Thursday!

2 comments: