Friday, September 30, 2011

Foodie Friday: Homemade Bread Pudding


I have had this recipe for several years now and I am always so excited for the holidays to roll around because that means I get to bake it! Even when I was 9 months pregnant I stood on swollen feet so I could have my favorite dessert, bread pudding! I hope you enjoy it!

This recipe makes 6 large servings. I would suggest using some kind if italian or french bread loaf. If you use day old, slightly stale bread, that is the best. If the bread is too fresh it will end up too soggy.

For the pudding, you will need:
  • 3 cups bread cubes
  • 4 cups hot milk
  • 4 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
  2. Butter 8x8 (or equivalent) baking dish
  3. Soak bread cubes in hot milk on stove for a total of five minutes. While soaking stir in sugar, butter, salt, eggs, and cinnamon
  4. Remove bread mixture from heat and pour into buttered baking dish
  5. Place baking dish with mixture into larger baking dish and fill halfway with hot water. This will prevent the edges of the bread pudding from burning
  6. Bake for 60-70 minutes
  7. After baked, remove from oven, and place bread pudding on wire rack to cool
  8. While cooling, make topping (see below)


For the topping, you will need:
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  1. Combine sugar, butter, heavy cream, and vanilla extract in a small saucepan and bring to a boil
  2. Once topping boils, lower heat and stir for 3 minutes
  3. Spoon over individual servings
  4. Garnish with powdered sugar and berries

No comments:

Post a Comment